Sunday, September 2, 2012

1 Coffee Table + 2 Side Tables = Awesomely Wide TV Stand for $40

76" wide x 22" deep x 18" tall, this TV stand cost me $40, 12 screws, and two pieces of scrap wood

Backstory

Back when I was in college playing Wii on a 27” CRT TV in my one bedroom apartment, I got a $20 coffee table from Ikea and used it as a TV stand.  Fast forward a few years, a couple of bucks, and one 8 month old, and I needed a solution for my 47” flat screen.  The coffee table wasn’t long enough, so the TV stuck out over both sides.

The Fix

1) Buy two $10 side tables (the nearest Ikea is 7 hours away from me now, so I had to buy some from Walmart that were close) and put one on either side of the coffee table.

2) Kids pulling them apart?  Use some scrap wood and a few screws to hold them together.  I put 3 screws into each side and it’s sturdy and invisible unless you're underneath.

A few screws and a 5"x10" piece of plywood make it toddler tough.

Bottom Line

1 $20 coffee table + 2 $10 side tables = $40 for a 76” x 22” x 18” TV stand.

The door on the front was another baby-proofing step, and the topic of my next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment